Thursday, June 21, 2018

Patriot Pride - by Troy Brown with Mike Reiss

Troy Brown needs no introduction. The Patriot Hall of Famer is pretty much the blueprint for the ideal Patriot. On over-achieving
late round draft pick. He played well at all phases of the game, whatever the coach needed from him. he was a star receiver. He played on special teams. He even played on defense when the team needed him to. His story covers the end of the pre-Brady years, and the beginning of the Patriots dynasty. It was an interesting period for the team, and Brown looked to cover it from the inside.

This was a good book, but a bit more limited than I was hoping for. There was some great insight into his early years. Growing up, and moving on to college. You can see the formations of the player he would come. The Patriots years, though, felt more like a retelling of newspaper reports than any real behind the scenes information. I heard myself saying "Oh yeah, I remember that" more than I said "oh really". It's the sort of book I would expect from a reporter, or someone outside the team. A collection of the Patriots records over the years, and the game by game retelling. It still made for a fun read, but I expected more from an autobiography. If Mike Reiss had written this on his own, I feel like I would have enjoyed it more because my expectations would have been different. But, you should feel free to give it a try and see if you feel the same way. You will still enjoy the book.

Rating: 3 quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Read in Other Sections