Saturday, September 10, 2016

Is This How Other Fans Feel?

As the Patriots get set to begin their season tomorrow night, I find myself in an unusual position. 

I don't know that they're going to win the game.

It's a little unsettling, since I'm not really sure how long it's been since I felt this way entering a game.

Oh sure, there have been times that I haven't been absolutely sure they were going to win. Naturally, any Super Bowl brings some level of competition that could beat New England. Or, say, going to Denver in the snow. That's always a question. But, through all of that, I always assumed that if the Patriots played their game, they were going to win. That might not be the case tomorrow. Their best might not be good enough. I might not be surprised if they lose.

I know.

Is this how Jets fans watch every game?

I'm really trying to decide when I last felt this way. Maybe game 2 of 2008? But, really, even then there was a feeling that any schmuck could throw it long and let Randy Moss go get it. There was a planned path to victory. But, no Brady and no Gronk? Against a good team? I don't know about this.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't the 90's. I'm not absolutely sure they'll lose. I still have faith in the game plan. There's no reason to think they can't pull it off. I'm just, weirdly, not so sure they will.

So, when I watch the game tomorrow, I'll actually be concerned if they fall behind. I'll have to wonder if they can make up a touchdown or two. I can't just count possessions and assume those will all be touchdowns going forward. I'm actually going to worry while the game is on.

I'm not sure I remember how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Read in Other Sections